View Single Post
      07-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Considering moving on from N54 to N55, want some thoughts/experience

Like the title says, I'm considering moving on from my N54, to an N55. I also want to get an XI after dealing with the 335I in the winter. So, skip to the last paragraph for the short version

But, long and the short of it, I'm gonna need new turbos soon, likely new injectors, and I'm just flat out sick of throwing a grand or two in parts at the car every 6 months just to keep it running (gone through a hpfp, 3 sets of plugs, burnt up o2 sensors, bad low pressure fuel sensor, 2 sets of coils, 3 vanos solenoids, replaced injectors, and now have more leaking, dealt with wastegate rattle, etc all in the last 18 months)

So, who has gone from N54 to N55? What was the maintenance like from platform to platform? I'm fine with coils and plugs, those are cheap and easy. But am I gonna be chasing issues every few weeks with a FBO N55 just like an N54? Or have you guys had the experience of them actually being more reliable.

One of the benefits of trading up, is I could swap my wheels, suspension, and intercooler straight over to the new N55, and be a couple parts away from full bolt ons. I'm not looking for a big power build, just something that can make 350-370 whp reliably.

So, is the N55 more reliable than the N54? Or at least does it cost less to maintain? I've got a few grand in repairs that my car will need sooner than later, I want AWD, and I want more reliability, so is selling off my car and putting that few grand towards a newer car with an N55 a good idea, or will it be slower, and break just as much and bite me in the ass?