View Single Post
      07-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
Like the title says, I'm considering moving on from my N54, to an N55. I also want to get an XI after dealing with the 335I in the winter. So, skip to the last paragraph for the short version

But, long and the short of it, I'm gonna need new turbos soon, likely new injectors, and I'm just flat out sick of throwing a grand or two in parts at the car every 6 months just to keep it running (gone through a hpfp, 3 sets of plugs, burnt up o2 sensors, bad low pressure fuel sensor, 2 sets of coils, 3 vanos solenoids, replaced injectors, and now have more leaking, dealt with wastegate rattle, etc all in the last 18 months)

So, who has gone from N54 to N55? What was the maintenance like from platform to platform? I'm fine with coils and plugs, those are cheap and easy. But am I gonna be chasing issues every few weeks with a FBO N55 just like an N54? Or have you guys had the experience of them actually being more reliable.

One of the benefits of trading up, is I could swap my wheels, suspension, and intercooler straight over to the new N55, and be a couple parts away from full bolt ons. I'm not looking for a big power build, just something that can make 350-370 whp reliably.

So, is the N55 more reliable than the N54? Or at least does it cost less to maintain? I've got a few grand in repairs that my car will need sooner than later, I want AWD, and I want more reliability, so is selling off my car and putting that few grand towards a newer car with an N55 a good idea, or will it be slower, and break just as much and bite me in the ass?
Tough choice but moving to an AWD car seems to already be your decision... Did you run snow tires on your N54 ever? I have them on my RWD N55 and had 0 issues this past winter... easily got through stuff your average car couldn't on all seasons... Being lowered aggressively will get you stuck still though.

N55 issues are in-large the same as N54. Oil gasket leaks (oil pan, thermostat housing, oil filter housing), coolant tank explodes, water pump failure on pre- 12/2012 build dates, HPFP is shared between both except N55 gets newer revisions depending on build date... Main benefit of N55 over N54 is no injector issues and the motor itself has superior oiling and cooling. The addition of X-drive to the N55 negates those benefits though as far as reliability goes lol

N55 stock turbo will get pulled on hard by an n54 with stock turbos. N55 might have an edge on an N54 in lower gears, but over 80mph/3rd gear the stock N55 turbo just doesn't flow enough air. N55 does produce a good 500wtq as low as 2700rpms with a custom tune, so driving around town is fun. 350-370whpo is very doable on an E30 tune.
Appreciate 0