View Single Post
      07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #37
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Plaid, surely we can agree that in order to end up with a spun bearing there must be abnormal bearing wear of some kind. Otherwise what is the point of oil analysis, if not to identify bearing wear prior to a catastrophic bearing failure, thus a less costly repair can hopefully be made.

Unless it is known exactly what the cause of this is, you really can't make a blanket statement of what the cause isn't. I put the cold out there as starting an engine on a cold day can cause more wear.

As far as the guy with end caps, and seizure, that may or may not be related. I say that since that is the first I have heard of anybody here having that happen. He may have been unaware and one of the rod bearings disintegrated and got into the mains. I don't keep up on every thread, but id bet that engine probably isn't salvageable. Poor guy.

With P2, PI and 68 k miles, 10 or so with PI, I am scared. After all the money I have spent on upgrading this car I need a rebuild already? I may consider proactively swapping out the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0