07-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #38
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Plaid, surely we can agree that in order to end up with a spun bearing there must be abnormal bearing wear of some kind. Otherwise what is the point of oil analysis, if not to identify bearing wear prior to a catastrophic bearing failure, thus a less costly repair can hopefully be made.

Unless it is known exactly what the cause of this is, you really can't make a blanket statement of what the cause isn't. I put the cold out there as starting an engine on a cold day can cause more wear.

As far as the guy with end caps, and seizure, that may or may not be related. I say that since that is the first I have heard of anybody here having that happen. He may have been unaware and one of the rod bearings disintegrated and got into the mains. I don't keep up on every thread, but id bet that engine probably isn't salvageable. Poor guy.

With P2, PI and 68 k miles, 10 or so with PI, I am scared. After all the money I have spent on upgrading this car I need a rebuild already? I may consider proactively swapping out the rod bearings.
I have heard that the bearings are accessible through the oil pan from underneath the car and not that labor intensive to swap out. If you are worried about potential future issues with yours, I suggest looking into swapping them out just to be safe.

Also on that note, I was told by a few experience BMW techs that if I had not driven the car after it seized up on me and rather towed it to a shop, they could've swapped the bearings through the oil pan. What destroys the motor is driving with a spun bearing/rod knock and warping the crankshaft(?) journal IIRC. Figured I would at least leave that information here to see what you guys think.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0