07-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #39
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I have heard that the bearings are accessible through the oil pan from underneath the car and not that labor intensive to swap out. If you are worried about potential future issues with yours, I suggest looking into swapping them out just to be safe.

Also on that note, I was told by a few experience BMW techs that if I had not driven the car after it seized up on me and rather towed it to a shop, they could've swapped the bearings through the oil pan. What destroys the motor is driving with a spun bearing/rod knock and warping the crankshaft(?) journal IIRC. Figured I would at least leave that information here to see what you guys think.
I was hoping for such ease of access. Knew it was that way with American cars, but not these overpriced rides. For any issue with crank journals, I'd expect that the engine would have to come out for anything wrong with it. It most likely would be more of a situation of scoring that can not be machined as the main cause of said damage. Regardless, as you said SC, driving any distance with a rod bearing issue can be catastrophic. But we must first know it is anout to, or has occurred. With my car stereo jamming I fear that it could have a hiccup without me knowing. Oil analysis to be done soon.
Appreciate 0