09-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #33
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Wow! Hats off! I have a couple of questions. I want to put some issues to rest regarding the 325i and 330i. ECU-wise, what is the difference between the 2 programs? Even as of today, tuners can't achieve more than stock 330 power levels on a 325 with a tune and and 3-stage intake manifold. Speculation suggested that there was some variable(s) the engine tuning software could not accessed that "unlocked" the 330 maps. One forum member had a very brief appearance here and suggested that one of the variables was in the CAS module. What I'd love to do here is get a stock 330 engine map to work on a 325 with the 3 stage intake manifold.
I think that's probably nonsense. they aren't going to put critical engine variables in a completely separate module for 1 model produced for 1 year.

the difficulty lies in the complexity of the tunes. There's a mind boggling number of variables, curves and maps, and exactly how they work together is unclear.

I think what would be more feasible would be to flash the entire DME except for the secret key/vin/etc for the CAS with a dump from a 330i. The trick is going to be finding which sectors on the different memory chips have the relevant info. you could probably copy/paste all the variables from a 330i to a 325i but that would be tedious and risky due to the level of complexity.

Also I'm pretty certain you can't flash a 328i DME with 330i code, because they are a different architecture entirely. But I do wonder if you could plug in a 330i DME into a 328i.. I'd have to study wiring diagrams. you'd still have to get it to play nicely with the CAS, but that's essentially the same issue as the 325.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
9.9mm lift is the mechanical maximum.
Good to know. It's easy enough to test! now I just need money/time to hit up the dyno and test things one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
10mm = collision ? or the valvetronic motor/assembly can only do 9.9?
thx
probably a little of both. since you can control lift, overlap, and timing, there's the potential to contact both pistons and the exhaust valves, with the riskiest point being ATDC of the intake stroke.

0.2mm of lift probably isn't going to make a huge difference in power though. 10.5mm or 11mm would probably see gains but that would require cams.

It would be interesting to compare a dump from a 325i. if anyone has one, send it my way!
Appreciate 0