View Single Post
      10-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #57
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
And again sir, I have personally witnessed a bone stock E46 M3 pit out with the oil guage at 287 degrees. It didn't go limp, but it got the oil to that temp, and the owner pulled out to save his vehicle. Just because the other the S54 bimmers don't have a limp mode, doesn't mean they don't get dangerously hot.
I'm not going to belabor the point. But the MZ4 Coupe does seem to be far better at managing heat than the E46 M3. Another instructor friend of mine has an E46 M3 produced ~4 month prior to my MZ4 Coupe (his M3 was a March 2006 build, mine was a September 2006 build), and on a typical weekend his car usually run about 10-15 degrees higher than mine.

Having said all that. I've seen enough 335i to go limp at the first sight of being driven moderately hard by an instructor to be able to tell you that the N54 engined cars (and to that extent, N52 engined cars as well) are far more vulnerable to heat related issues on the track. Whether you believe it or not, it is up to you. Anecdotal and some empirical data suggest so.
Appreciate 0