View Single Post
      05-30-2021, 02:38 AM   #1
gica
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

2012 E92N intake inlet camshaft bolt to timing gear snapped need advice

As the title says the bolt to the intake camshaft broke (broken piece still in the camshaft) and of course car died, it was on the street going slow, it started to run a bit bad and then it just died, tried to turn a few times and nothing. Then noticed the lower part of the engine was spinning but camshaft was not.

So my next step is to find a factory manual if possible and buy the gear and camshaft, install it get the timing tool and install it back then take compression. I need to know if the valves were affected on this. The car had the lower return hose break while driving and adding water every 10 miles or so it made it to my sons friends house where he left it overnight. He was actually monitoring using the oil temp. that was at 190 to 250F, when he would add water. The hose was replaced and the issue with the camshaft bolt snapping happened the next day after restart. Was running a bit like there was a leak in the exhaust. he drove it up and down the street and upon stopping the car died.
So this is where I am at with the car. In order to check timing I need to fix this issue first and then take timing on all six.
Any ideas on the valves if they are affected by this?
Timing chain is fine. Very odd that the bolt snapped. Don't know if it's a coincidence or direct result.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0