10-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #21
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Silver, I am not 'in the know' but £20K would appear to be a good all in price for a large garden room requiring deep footings. I had a much smaller (14 sq metres) conservatory installed three years ago (nothing fancy) and that was £11K all in.

Off topic slightly, I am in the process of having my attached double garage converted as a disabled suite (bedroom and bathroom) for my son. I was thinking that the £25K budget (inc architects/planning) would be stretched but maybe it wont be if there are no major building works like foundations etc which I assume can be the cost drivers. I had my planning application approved last week, so hopefully the work will get through the detailed building reg process and go out to tender very soon!
The garage will be built with a single skin of brickwork with no insulation. You could simply dry line and insulate the internal face and build internal dividing walls in plasterboard and timber / metal studwork.

Only significant 'builderswork' would be to close off the old garage doors, fitting windows etc... which would require a small footing for a self supporting brick wall and excavations for drainage (which could also be avoided if you have a pumped system instead).
Appreciate 0