10-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #982
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvasqu01 View Post
Ok so I'm planning to head to the track for my first time in November in South Florida. Temps usually will be in the 70s during this time of the year. Anyway, I have a 08 335i AT and I just bought a '13 335i 335i. I was unaware of all these limp mode issues at the track but my original plan was to take my '08. I have a Cobb and run Stage 1 agressive map. Otherwise the car is stock.

My question for the more initiated is, should I even bother taking the '08 and instead take the '13 F30. The newer one is stock and AT.

I actually enjoy the E90 more when I'm agressive but don't want to pay a bunch of money getting the E90 ready to go just to go limp. I was thinking of changing the brake fluid to a higher BP and doing a valve cleaning. Whatcha all think? Thanks
I have had no overheating issue with my stage 2 agressive N55 based 135i, on the track. I use the stock oil cooler, and BMS Oil thermostat bypass valve ($50 part and simple DIY).

Two friends with manual transmissions, so less heat to shed than with an automatic, take their N54 to the track and have had limp mode due to heat. One is stock (no tuning), and is considering an extra oil cooler.

Having fresh engine oil also helps with cooling. I change mine as soon as viscosity is too thin, and my N55 engine starts consuming oil. Usually every 6 full track days.

Agree with "Cloud9blue" regarding the OBD reader. It is a must if you hit the track want to read, interpret, and clear codes. Also keep a PDF copy of all the n54/n55 engine codes on your smart phone. It has helped me clear and ignore certain OBD codes, and get on with my lapping day...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 10-26-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0