07-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #69
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Well, BMW calls it a "crankcase breather". And the connection to the intake is called the "blow by pipe". Either way it's routing the positive pressurized crankcase fumes back into the intake. See page 24 for some details.

http://prodcds.bmwuniversity.com/lib...erformance.pdf

If you think its redundant and not needed then you are welcome to not participate in the thread.
Ok TDI, I have looked at page 24, and page 25. If I understand what I am looking at, the Crankcase breather pulls a vacuum on the head cover based on the venturi created by the airflow generated by the airflow which is determined by the load and rpm. When the gases/ oil mist is pulled into the stream, the oil can get onto the turbo compressor and then pool into the intercooler. So I guess one could say that we have a PCV catch can if you frequently empty out the intercooler of the oil.

Not sure about the purpose of the heater except it may be there because of us Canucks living in the cold, but I doubt it is there to vaporize the oil mist.

Question is that with the available vacuum how difficult will it be to get a catch can that will work without screwing up the original design pressure drop. That section of plastic tubing looks to be quite short.