View Single Post
      09-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #73
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

That looks bad. Hope you haven't had any problems since.

To update my fluid/grease leak issue, it looks like I do in fact have a bad inner CV boot driver's side. I cannot find the leak visually yet (after many attempts) but there just isn't any other possibility. After installing the Strongflex in the Tension Struts, I went for a few high speed runs and I still have grease leaking out from somewhere.

The one TS bushing was also leaking, no doubt about that. But if that were the only problem I should not see any more grease, esp after carefully cleaning it off of the boots and everywhere else with brake cleaner after the Strongflex bushing install. It seems like it only shows up after high speed JB4 logging runs, so it may be a tiny crack that only leaks over 100 mph or so, then gets spun around and splattered. No noises or grinding clicking etc. when turning wheels by hand. Will probably replace the whole assembly with a new DSS axle and not just do the boot repair (which is even more work than replacing the axle).

To recap all this started after a particularly hard pot hole hit. Afterwards the TS bushing was leaking badly, and only the bushing, then the other grease started to slowly show up. So appears the hit was hard enough to damage at least two components. I'd rather replace the whole axle than just do the harder boot repair and find out later the axle or CV joint itself is also toast.

It turns out DSS axles are significantly cheaper than OEM, $109 shipped. Even rebuilt OEM are in the $800 range. Will replace control arms when I do the axle. Now to gather more specialty tools including a better ball joint tool because you have to remove the TS and CA links at the hub to do the axle.

Last edited by ajsalida; 09-12-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0