sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Chassis stiffness wouldn't have been on their minds at all or very little when selecting the race car model as a cage would overcome any shortcomings anyway. It's usually marketing that decides which car ends up being the poster child and it's usually the cooking models that get the nod.
Secondly when looking at the door on a coupe the door is almost twice as long and so yes the coupes doors would show the flex more because it's over a longer distance. So that's evidence but not a conviction.
I think the fact that BMW hasn't released the number officially that I can find might mean that they are in fact the same ....

Unless someone has the numbers I guess we'll never know

Interestingly, as we're building this cage... My builder did mention that the narrower e90 front door will make it more challenging to get in/out of the car compared to the longer door opening of the e92. Being a full 6'3", I'll report back on how challenging it is.

And this may not apply to the e9x chassis', but what little data I could find on chassis rigidity showed a massive difference between rear fold down seat/no rear fold down seat on the e46. Even with that, the below link shows far greater rigidity from the e90 compares to the e46 (again, roll cage with proper gusseting makes this a moot point)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...idity-Humor-me

Last edited by sirdaft1; 08-04-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0