06-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #72
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
Valve covers not covered... I tried a whilee back and apparently only the VCG is which doesnt make sense at all.
Yup, just went to the dealership and tried to see if they would cover it.
  1. First I hit & , and read a few threads.
  2. THEN I called service at 'BMW of El Cajon' because Brandon08_328 mentioned them replacing his Valve Cover under SULEV. I think his name was Adrian, but the guy I spoke to from BMW of El Cajon was AMAZING! He knew his stuff, and said that while the Valve Cover isn't covered, that something inside it is (I forget the part). Basically, if this part is broken, then the Valve Cover gets replaced under SULEV... OR if the cracked Valve Cover is throwing a code, then it should be covered (mine was not). Again, I was impressed with this dealer and guy's customer service. I'm just some dude calling from across the country because a forum member's post...... AND they spent a good 10-15min checking it out, and walking me through the steps of how it can be covered. Awesome service from those guys.
  3. I called BMW NA to try and get an official word since some people seem to get their valve covers replaced under SULEV, and others don't. BMW NA is always nice, but the guy I spoke to said he knows nothing about cars or technical issues, and it's up to the dealer to interpret the warranty.

Basically, I pleaded my case with the service manager, and he gave me a discount on the valve cover; agreeing to put it on while they replace the VCG under SULEV. I get the dealer's point, but the whole thing is ridiculous, and based on the wording in the SULEV warranty, the valve cover should be covered. Maybe it's a reach, but for the failure rate of these things AND their own SULEV warranty.. There should be a class action lawsuit against BMW for this.