KrashFinatik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Sport Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Hey folks I'm in the middle of my DIY, hope someone can help with a few issues related to automatic transmission models. My car is an e90 328i n52 GM automatic.

1. As OP notes, auto trans pan bolts include some longer bolts. My set of bolts that I purchased include the following:
m8x26 : 23 bolts
m8x112: 7 bolts
m8x92: 3 bolts

so far, I've removed all of the bolts that screw directly into the pan (pointing upward), which includes 23 bolts m8x26, 2 bolts m8x112, and 3 bolts m8x92. Therefore I have 5 bolts m8x112 unaccounted for.

where do I need to remove additional bolts? There are some bolts with horizontal orientation that screw into the bell housing and look like they may thread into the pan, but I thought I should ask before pulling them out.

2. On my car, I have some plastic tubes that send ATF from the transmission to the trans cooler at the front of the car. The tubes hug the oil pan pan and obstruct access to pan bolts on the drivers side. I disconnected a couple brackets that attach the tubing to the pan as well as un-mounting the trans cooler. This helped give a little flexibility to the plastic tubing... I got the obstructed pan bolts out but it was a PITA and very time consuming.

I'm thinking when I finally try to remove the pan, I'll have a fight on my hands with the tubing again.

Has anyone dealt with this? What did you do? Did the tubing obstruct/prevent removal?

If I need to, I'll disconnect the tubing from the tranny, but I'd rather avoid if there is a way...

3. In OP's DIY, he talks about an oil return line disconnection. On my car, there appear to be differences (I can't find it lol ) and looking at diagrams on realoem it appears that f17227581147or OP's car, the oil return line plugs into the exterior of the oil pan. For my car, there is simply a plug and o-ring in the diagram for the oil pan, in that position.

Is the oil return line somewhere else and I'll have to deal with it some other way? or do I get off easy on this and not have to deal with it? Haven't found it yet on realoem.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Managed to solve 1 and 3. For three, I did not have to deal with a return line. For 1, the extra 5 bolts are NA and not sure why they are provided. There are, however 4 horizontally positioned bolts near the bellhousing which must be removed and they are not painted blue so I intend to reuse. For one of the bolts, OP's suggestion of removing a bracket to give access to an oil return line comes in handy for removal (of the bolt). So time well spent there.

I have the pan off. It was plenty of trial and error. The oil pump fights your removal at the front of the car. The unclipping of the AC hose gave little flexibility, not much. It came out the back with plenty of subframe maneuvering. So, progress!

Once I get the pan cleaned and back on, I plan to address #2 by disconnecting the ATF lines. Hopefully this will make proper torquing of bolts much easier.

OP your DIY is so freakin' helpful! THANKS!
I'm glad you were able to remove the pan with my DIY considering the differences.
My job is done. I told myself if I could at least help one person successfully to this job it would be well worth the time putting it together.
*Note: please be extra extra extra cautious when torquing the oil pan. 8nm (6ft lbs) is not a lot. Make sure you have a quality torque wrench you can trust.

Thanks also for your detailed input for the automatic crowd out there.

Cheers