View Single Post
      08-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #121
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Just finished doing my transmission fluid and I have to say this guide was excellent, especially the DIY filter o-ring tool that was mentioned later on in the thread.

I made a slight mistake of not double checking this guide one more time before I started the engine. I was able to fill about 3 liters of fluid before I turned the engine on and idled the car for 3 minutes. I didn't shift the transmission so hopefully no serious damage was done.

The next day I booted up INPA and found a low fluid trouble code in the transmission module. Started the car and added the rest of the fluid (4 more liters). Shifted through the gear, checked the temperature, and made sure fluid was coming out at a slow steady pace before I replaced with a new fill plug and reinstalled the brackets.

I recommend removing the exhaust bracket that connects to the transfer case, as it gets in the way of the fill plug. You need an E-10 socket for 3 of the bracket bolts and an 8mm 12-point wrench or an E-10 wench for one bolt that goes directly into the transfer case with 2 rubber bushings. As for the fill plug, I used a 17mm wrench from FCP Euro that also has a Hex bit on the other side for the Transfer Case and Differential drain/fill plugs.
Appreciate 0