View Single Post
      09-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

What is normal brake pedal feel?

So back in Febuary my car went under the knife, and due to a number of factors, primarily time, its only just now about ready. So one of the many things i did was address the brakes. i went new rotors, stainless flex line, pads and painted the calipers while they were off. However during this process i F**ked up. I had learned about depresing the pedal with a board to prevent leaking. But I decided against that because of my timeline and didn't want to damage the seat. I figured that a few drips wouldnt be a big issue, I was flushing the system anyway. Had some cardboard down to catch the few drips, and i figured that as a sealed system, there wouldn't be much, similar to putting your finger over the end of a straw. I was wrong. it all drained out.

so by the time i got back in there it was way to late. in the end, I ran the bleed procedure in INPA, and it all went exactly how the video showed. took it out for a drive and didnt have bite till the very end (as i remember), and what i had was not safe stopping (again as I remember). fast forward to yesterday, i finally got ISTA working and reset the brake bite. Now it feels safe, for what little i did, about 10mph-0, but i cant for the life of me remember what it actually felt like before this disaster.

Id describe the new feel as an exponential graph appears. basicly through about 1/3 stroke nothing happens just enough to notice the brakes are on, not doing anything. 1/3-2/3 slow stoping like in town sunday driving. finally the final 1/3 starts at reasonable braking and ends at (if not for ABS) locking the wheels. It just feels like nothing for over 1/2 of the pedal travel.

Can anyone verify this is right?

TL;DR
Screwed up, drained all the brake fluid, bled them in INPA and reset bite in ISTA, but cant remember how they felt 6+months ago.
Appreciate 0