View Single Post
      09-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I am using a car cover daily (Covercraft NOAH and some local covers), and my car's paint condition is great. No scratches from the car cover (but some light scratches from other things).

In my town, if you wash your car today, tomorrow it will have significant dust. With the car cover, I can keep the car clean for at least a week. It also doesn't attract attention as much.

Before putting on the car cover I use a California Duster (very lightly !) to clean up the dust that may be sitting on the paint.

I also use Zaino products (Z2 Pro, Z6 and Z8) on my car regularly. I believe that the protective layer formed by a sealant or wax does have a role in preventing possible car cover scratches.

Your car is also AW, which shows the least amount of scratches.

I'm a detailing fanatic and have the most pain in the ass color ever, JB.... and I wouldn't ever touch a car cover. Hell, even with the softest of microfiber towels you're still scratching the paint. A big +1 to Zaino products, they're great. Dusters are usually a big No No as well.

The problem with car covers is anything that gets trapped in there can potentially harm your paint, you're better off just letting it get a little dirty, then doing a full detail in the spring when it starts to warm up. Make sure you have a nice sealant on the car before you get ready for storage.

OP, if you really want a cover than get one. It's not really a big deal either way. You can always have your car buffed and detailed in the spring if you do develop some scratches. My personal opinion is just that's it's a waste.