mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
@ubersteuer where would you acquire replacement lenses from? I've been contemplating new lenses on mine as I don't think a typical clear coat refinish will do the trick and don't want to replace the whole assembly.

Nice new touring btw!!
My headlights were really cloudy, yellow and the finish was quite rough. I was fairly certain I'd need new assemblies or lenses. I'd at least give one of the headlight restoration products a try first. It's well worth the $20 and an hour of your time to see if it works.

I came across a couple of youtube videos showing the headlight disassembly process and some lenses on ebay. The uncertainty of the quality of the lenses, cutting into the lights to pull them apart, and the use of caulking to reseal the lights made me shy away from that method. I was going to fork out for a new pair of OEM Euros with the white reflector if the restoration didn't work.

Here are my results, hopefully they last -
Nicely done. I've used those $20 kits on my old cars with pretty good success. Only thing is my headlights have a spider web crack appearance to them. Likely from living in Florida it's whole life. Driver side worse than passenger. Zoom in to see the cracks.

Let me know any thoughts.

Agree a lense swap is out, way too involved with too many opportunities for errors. I would rather throw down for new oem units and try to resell the old units.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1