View Single Post
      07-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javia1492 View Post
So I'd only be swapping the projector headlight to xenon hid. I basically cant touch the DRLs because they're reflector so xenon hids would be too bright. Is this correct?
Yes.

Thank you for being a part of the minority who understand that drop-in HID conversions almost always end up blasting light indiscriminately in the faces of others drivers. If you don't like the DRL's you can code them out, but personally I see no reason to.

My only suggestion is not to "retrofit" the actual light output assembly. For example, while you're retrofitting xenon lights to a halogen-equipped car, make sure you do it with projectors that were manufactured for a D-series xenon bulb (D1S, D2S, etc). This will ensure the correct light pattern and cutoff, and will look 10x better.

As a general rule, LED's are still somewhat inferior to xenon when it comes to raw light output, especially if you're retrofitting. So indeed, you're better off with xenon's and will have more options.

What I would do is see what size the projectors in those assemblies are, and swap in a pair of good quality bi-xenon projectors. You'll have to open the headlight housing to do this, but it's the only proper way you can get xenon lights working in those housings.

Bi-xenon projectors use one light source for both low and high beams, and simply use a solenoid to actuate a shutter that changes the light cutoff in order to achieve the high beam. This would be the ideal setup in my opinion, and closest to OEM. Probably better actually as the OE HID projectors in our cars are horseshit.

If you just put re-based xenon bulbs in your current eBay headlights, you'll end up with a terrible light pattern that blinds other drivers.

Do it right and swap in new projectors. It'll be a bit more work, but more rewarding.

EDIT:

After re-reading your original post, I see that you are/were considering using re-based H8 xenon bulbs. Don't do this. Please.

The idea that retrofitting a reflector assembly will result in scattered light but that retrofitting a projector will not is incorrect. There are reflector assemblies specifically designed for xenon lights, as well as LED lights (current F30): it all comes down to where the actual light source resides in the assembly.

Check out The Retrofit Source. Specifically their Projector Kits section. Once you know the size of the projectors in your current headlights, you can order and install a suitable bi-xenon replacement.

Regardless of how you proceed, you will have to do some coding if you want to avoid the pesky BOW's. I know it's possible to code the car to tell it xenons are installed, but I'm *guessing* that is only useful when swapping in OEM xenon headlights. So worst case you just disable hot and cold bulb monitoring for the affected lights and you're good to go.

Last edited by e90yyc; 07-03-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0