View Single Post
      03-10-2024, 07:41 PM   #5
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Any specific reason why new projectors are preferred over just replacing the lens? I've heard/seen some good results from just replacing the lenses with good quality clear ones.

I have LCI adaptive projectors on my E90 (with the adaptive function disabled; lights are broken internally and I had to permanently fasten them pointing straight.) I already have a custom set of brackets that replace the frame for the existing projector that fits the G5 projectors. I was thinking of using the G5-BRT projectors. Will I be able to re-use my existing shrouds with those projectors? If not, what's recommended to easily fit the G5 inside the LCI lights?
The crappy plastic projectors are the reason why the stock output is so bad. Clear lenses will give you a sharp cutoff and a sense that you improved the output but really its still dismal compared to replacing the projector with something quality. If you are going the the effort of opening up your permasealed headlights you might as well do the whole shabang IMO.

I used lightwerks adaptive brackets and retrofitted G5BRTs. Lots of trimming involved if you want to retain the adaptive feature, the site says they are plug and play but that is totally bullshit. I ended up just coding off my adaptive and doing a fixed a mount install because the projectors 'jiggled' a lot when hitting bumps (same as the stock headlights do). The BRTs beam width is soooo much wider than stock that adaptive is not really necessary.

I was able to re-use the stock shrouds by cutting little slots in the G5 projector casing with a dremel to allow the the shrouds to 'clip' on. Added epoxy to where they attach to make sure they didn't fall off.
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101697.50