ryme
Enlisted Member
Brunei
Rep
Drives: 320i

Garage List
2010 320i  [10.00]
ATF Preventive Maintenance

Im thinking of changing the ATF fluid at 50k miles, and then the pan & filter at 100k miles. Is that reasonable?

I have a 2010 320i with N46 engine. I believe the gearbox for LCI is GM and not ZF.

Been reading a lot about how transmission fluid is not to be change with the reason being the gears might slip. I got this from BMW-SG forumers:

"There is some discussion about whether it's a good idea to change automatic transmission fluid once the transmission has reached a certain mileage.

The idea behind it is that ATF has detergents in it that keep the transmission clean, after the transmission reached a certain age the disks in the transmission can actually wear until they have a mirror like surface, at this point the only thing that keeps the disks from slipping is the contaminates in the fluid. changing the fluid with fresh clean fluid causes the disks to start slipping."

Is this true?I really want to keep this car for as long as I can so anyone with expert knowledge on a tranny can chime in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0