07-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #66
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazy_87 View Post
Hey Guys,

Id mentioned I was planning a manual transmission conversion....well I have now started the ball rolling! Picked up my gearbox, diff, prop and pedal box today, I will be ordering my CAE shifter tomorrow. I am sending the diff off to have an LSD fitted, I have decided to go with a Quaife unit as they have some decent reviews and require minimal maintenance. I have also order some new sheeting to make some door cards for the front as the car is going on a full weight saving diet now.

Grazy,
Since you are talking doing the gearbox and diff at same time, you may want to look at the final ratio of the gearbox in conjuction with the diff's ratio. There is another thread on switch to manual trans authored by Iaknown. I recall there being a different LSD source that offered a 2.56:1 diff ratio. Our stock ratio is like 2.81:1. Iaknown looked up the ratios of the 330D manual gearbox and it was going to cause the RPMs to run higher if same stock diff ratio is retained. I'm just saying you could optimize to get what you want (sort of). You would only have those two ratios to pick from. Iaknown got his LSD from a different source though as Quaife is only the same 2.81:1 ratio I believe. He has yet another thread talking the LSD he had done and it was a good bit cheaper too. He got his diff from M factory. They cut his ring gear weld, machined and bolted it onto the m factory diff. I just asked him a question on that thread pertinent to this gearing question. So, his thread should be an easy find for you.

one more thing, Is that a 330D gearbox, shifter, and driveshaft?

Last edited by BB_cuda; 07-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: misspelled words and grammar
Appreciate 0