View Single Post
      02-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Allow me to summarize for those that don't know.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
According to World Car Fans, he designed the Z3, Z4, Z8, X5, X6, 6 Series, and the 1 Series. He also headed the 3er, 5er and 7er.

Sure, not all his designs were hits right away, and some are polarizing - you either love them or hate them, but look around the industry. He's easily one of the most influential designers of this century.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I agree he has been very influential. The copying of design cue's from BMW's by other manufacturers is very obvious.

raised trunk lid on current S class - very 6 & 7 series
raised trunk lid of Camry - see above
tail lights of Camry - 5 series Being behind a Camry from a distance has fooled me into thinking it was a 5 series.
I've seen the Hofmeister Kink copied numerous times in some fashion

I've always been a fan of Bangle. The trend setters always get shit on, then when others copy, suddenly that style looks good.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
I dont know I am sure there is someone on this forum who would be able to answer who designed what thru which years, etc...
Adrian and Chris Bangle worked together on the designs. Bangle has been with the company's design team ever since the E46 was released, which is why I find it silly that people criticize him so much (..because everybody loooovveesss the E46........"now!!"). I believe Adrian penned the 3, 5 and 7 series cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Although it seems many on this forum are singing praises that Bangle is gone, many others are right in saying that the new head of design, Adrian van Hooydonk, has been working hand-in-hand with Bangle on BMW's design direction for years. One of BMW's most notable and polarizing "flame-surfaced" designs in the past 7 years was the Z4 roadster and coupe.

Guess who hand the primary hand in designing those cars? - you guessed it, Van Hooydonk.

So don't expect a massive change in BMW's design direction over the next 7 years. (Certainly no change as dramatic as the change in design from the pre-2002 to the post-2002 "banglized" 7 series and onward.)

Face it, BMW has pointed it's style in one direction and not much will change that. Van Hooydonk won't either.

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Really? BMW had some of its best sales years every under his designs. The original E46 was also his design.

Like or not the 7 series was the best selling 7 BMW ever had.

Every time I see an S class or a Camry or Avalon all I can think about is how they copied the 7.

Some of his designs went a bit to far but they started a movement, it takes time for people to change and accept new things. But as you can see his designs have been copied by many competitors.
+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Bangle has been the head of BMW Design Development since 1992, just so you guys know.
Word!
Appreciate 0