View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
desean81
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Not to be rude, but with your philosophy, you should just go back to stock downpipes. The secondary cats don't "catch" the majority of pollutants like the primary's do.
Why does everything have to be about proving a point? Not to be rude either but did you read what I wrote?

I want to be as responsible as possible while staying catless on the downpipes because of the performance gains that are possible there. I agree secondary cats in their stock configuration don't "catch" the majority of pollutants like the primary setup, but that's mostly because the primary's are doing 99% of the work and the secondary setup is there to catch the remaining amounts.

If I were to reweld the secondary cats in an aftermarket exhaust (by cutting the flange to widen and match diameter) would this result in a passable setup by the sniffer? I understand that cats work best hot, so I imagine that I may have more initial emissions while the cats heat up as they're not as close to the engine as the DPs are. Would a catalytic preheater setup solve this?

I'm just looking for options for my setup, I don't need to be swayed to reinstall my stock downpipes.

Thanks!

**EDIT:

So that I'm clear, I don't believe there's a physical difference between the primary and secondary cats? They don't appear to be different but if they are, and I'd be better off welding in the original primary's I could do that instead?
Appreciate 0