Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
I spoke with my mechanic friend and he told me that the problems I describe sound like "harmonic issues" - vibration caused by some loose or broken rotating mass hitting its resonating frequency causing it to shake or vibrate.

I'm thinking the shop may have been on the right track with their assessment that the flex discs (front and back) need to be replaced because they are cracked. The vibrations seem to occur at the same RPMs - 1200-1300, 1700-1800, 2100-2200 (hence the harmonic issue lead) and only under load. This leads me to believe that it could be something with the driveshaft.

I plan to replace the front and back flex discs as well as the center bearing. Hopefully this will solve my problem.
Throwing parts at a car is never a good way to go about diagnosing a problem. If there's a way that you can get a mechanic to actually look at the car, that's probably the best way to go.

I wonder, will the car drive with the rear driveshaft pulled? In the 4x4 world, this is a pretty common way to diagnose driveline problems, you pull the front, listen for vibes, if nothing changes, you reinstall the front and pull the rear, lock it in 4wd, then try driving it in "FWD mode" to see if the vibes go away.
Appreciate 0