Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
My Siggy 15mm/f2.8 diagonal fisheye arrives today.
I love it.

It's the EF mount Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG diagonal fisheye. It's got a 180 degree field of view and at f/16 it'll focus from 4-feet to infinity. It's sharp and the build quality is right their with Canon's version, which I tried and motivated me to buy my own. The Canon is no longer made and the used prices have gone through the roof lately. i paid $609, including shipping and no tax through B&H.

I use DxO Optics Pro 8.2 for my Raw conversion and it includes a module for this lens and my bodies. DxO will correct for the typical fisheye distortion and automatically convert to rectilinear or any point in between via a slider.

Here's a corrected picture with lots of straight lines:

Untitled by dcstep, on Flickr

Here's the same picture uncorrected:

Untitled by dcstep, on Flickr

Here's a corrected picture of a column in the Denver International Airport. I simply walked up to the column, made sure both the top and bottom were included (and not my feet) and pressed the shutter. (You've got to leave a little extra room for the DxO crop):

Big Tent Peg by dcstep, on Flickr

Here's a landscape, showing a nice starburst shooting into the sun:

Starburst by dcstep, on Flickr

This is a serious lens with real usefulness. Unless you really like curvy lines (some people really do) then you'll want a software to defish your pictures. I defish about 80%. I don't really have an eye for curved straight lines.

Dave