apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
Hows the car running?

My dealer just told me likely bearings are causing the noise I started hearing all of sudden about 3 weeks ago. However, they did not drop the oil pan to actually check.

Only have 61k miles on my 2011 so I am incredibly disappointed. I don't know how this could happen. I'll be getting a second option though. Then will decide whether I want to go through the time and cost of replacing my engine. The work is beyond my ability. I might be able to do it but would probably take me months.
Car is running great, I'm very happy with my decision to do the engine swap. I've put about 6k miles on it so far without significant issues.

Did the dealer tell you whether they suspected the issue was rod bearings or crankshaft bearings? If its the rod bearings and they havent done too much damage, then its a pretty straight forward repair that shouldnt be too expensive (relatively speaking). If its the crankshaft bearings, thats more of an issue. If they scored the bearing end caps, your only solution for a reliable fix would be to replace the engine (crankshaft bearing end caps cant readily be bought separately, at least I couldn't find any). If its just the crankshaft that's scored, you could have it re-profiled and reinstalled. This would probably be on the expensive side though since its not an easy task to get it out. I wouldnt be surprised if getting the crankshaft out and re-profiled matched the cost of a replacement engine.
Appreciate 0