View Single Post
      11-03-2019, 04:10 AM   #105
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I know it's pure speculation, but I have wondered what kind of gains would be seen from an exhaust cam change....especially for those with MILVS installed.

I don't know BMW's, but I know from wrenching on my other cars (Corvettes) that if the exhaust was stock.... what I call a "reverse split" cam made slightly more hp/tq than a conventional split cam....especially mid-range TQ.

My first test was an upgraded ported intake, and a cam grind that had about 2-3 degrees more duration on the intake....similiar to a 230/228. This was on a LS6 and it made 410/403.

But once I upgraded to Trick-Flow heads and a full exhaust (Long Tubes, Cat-Delete, X-Pipe), a conventional cam split made more power when I did a cam swap as the exhaust needed more time to get everything cleared. So the split grew significantly since I was getting so much more air into the engine.

I haven't looked at specs on BMW's cams, but I'm assuming that since everyone is looking at just that upgrade (exhaust cam) on a normally aspirated engine....that the stock intake cam duration is a little more aggressive.