View Single Post
      11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Rate my wash method/products!

Alright so I have been hand washing my car for just over a year and a half. When I first started washing my car I washed it just like I washed my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, one bucket and one mitt for everything. I've come a long way since then.

My current method is the 2 bucket method with Grit Guards in each bucket. I use Meguiars Gold Class wash mixed the way it says on the bottle. I have a few different rags/mitts for different areas of the car. I use a glove for my wheels and some Meguiars Hot Rim. Then I have a 100% sheep skin mitt that I use on my paint. Then I have some old microfiber towels to get door jams/where ever else.

First I start by rinsing my car thoroughly. I spend a little more time on the front of the car to help soak into the bug splatters. At least that's what I'm thinking when I do it. I hit each rim one at a time with Hot Shot, I rinse the whole car again every time I rinse the wheel so I don't get water marks. Then I take my sheep skin mitt and wash just the roof of the car. Then I rinse the car to make sure the soap doesn't dry or any of the water dry to leave water marks. Next I wash from the top of the windows down to about the door handles all the way around and rinse. Then the trunk and whole rear end and rinse again. Then the hood, grill, and front quarter panels and rinse twice to make sure I get it clean. Following all of this is drying with a waffle weave towel.

My questions:

1: I think I may also be worrying too much about water drying on my car while i wash it. By the time I finish I have probably rinsed the whole car at least 20 times. Can I wash my whole car, cover the whole thing in soap, at one time and rinse once? Or would I run the risk of leaving the soap on the car too long?

2: I also use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. Before reapply the wax I know I need to wash the car, but should I clay bar the whole car again?

I'll probably think of more questions later, But if any of you guys think I should change something in my methods let me know.

Thanks, Dylan
Appreciate 0