View Single Post
      06-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
drunkentrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe.

Anyone had paint defects, specifically clear coat failure?

Super bummed that my 2009, 70k mile Le Mans blue 335 started developing bubbles on the roof a year ago, which obviously led to the clearcoat peeling off in small sections, all the while spreading.

No big deal, right? It’s just the roof - I could always strip the clear and have it wrapped in jet black or Shadowline black to match my trim!

...but then the ultimate insult happened - my freakin hood just developed the same quarter sized delamination/bubble in the clear. Now I’m pissed.. this is the “newest/low mile” car I I’ve owned(out of 30+, most of which were bmws) and never once have I had to paint a panel.

Clearly beyond the factory 3 year warranty on paint. But.. curious to hear if anyone else has found their factory paint to become defective prematurely. My mechanic said it’s common on Le Mans blue bmws, but I can’t really find any evidence to prove it being beyond anecdotal.

Anyone ever try to file complaints with BMW NA? It’s seems futile to try on a 10 year old car, but maybe there is a minute chance if it has been documented that certain colors were doomed from the start due to a paint supplier fault, or some other equivalent.

Note: my car has had paintwork performed by the previous owner(rear quarter), but the hood and roof are definitely factory virgin panels. Car is not garaged, but is washed and spray waxed every two weeks.

Last edited by drunkentrader; 06-22-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0