View Single Post
      11-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If my E90 N52 ever had a lifter tick, I never realized it. Being my E30 had mechanical lifters and noisy-ass fuel injectors, the N52 was damned quite sounding to me when I took delivery in May 2006. My '08 Z4 3.0si was built prior to the revised N52 head, if it has a lifter tick, I never realized it.

In 2009 I dropped in a new WP, the bolt set, again from the dealership, did not have blue bolts.

IMO, the 2.5L M20 "is" engine is the best sounding straight 6 BMW made in the modern era.
Not to hijack the thread will mention here quickly, the lifter tick is very drive pattern related. Your driving pattern must not have been matching to the one that results in lifter tick noise.To have the lift you must start with a cold engine, run it for a few minutes but not long enough for it to fully warm up. Then shut it off. Wait enough for the engine to fully cool down, at least a few hours. Then start the engine, wait a few minutes on low RPM, then if you hadn't had the updated cylinder head you will most likely start to hear a distinct tapping sound, like a small hammer hitting on the exhaust side of the engine. If it doesn't happen that time, repeat this pattern one or two times, it will start the tapping/ticking. Very short commutes fall into this pattern and those with short commutes will usually have lifter tick. That is has been my experience. This lifter tick noise had been beaten to death anyway so I stop here.
Appreciate 0