View Single Post
      08-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #47
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
First of all, thanks again to you as well as the others here that took their time to lend me advice. I respect your views even if I don't agree with all of them. I definitely respect that I'm still relatively young, and that to an extent, wisdom comes with age. There is a lot I don't know or understand. But, I'm doing my best.

I absolutely agree that the company isn't a good fit for me. If that didn't seem apparent, I apologize. That said, I believe I have the mental "toughness," if you will, to stay here for some time longer, if I deem that to be my best option for the future. It's also certainly possible that leaving for a "fresh start" is my best option. It's one I will certainly consider, even more now. That said, for aforementioned reasons, I obviously feel, at least for now, that staying put is best for me despite the culture issues, etc. Plus, even if it isn't great here, there are some things that appeal to my needs such as self-managing, freedom in decision making (trust), and for at least a little while.. the most important of all.. a challenge. I've had a few different roles, most of them were pretty awful. Perhaps I'm just not patient enough. It's weird, I'm a very patient person overall. But I don't seem to want to do mind-numbing work for years before someone trusts me to actually use my mind and make real decisions. Go figure. I know, I know.. "the game," right?

This stood out to me of course so I wanted to touch on it. I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, by "beneath me," but I want to be clear that I do not feel that I am "better than" the company, or the position. I do feel, though, that the companies culture isn't a good fit for me personally, and that I am capable of handling far more than this position requires.

And hey, I never said they'd outright fold, lol. They'd be struggling and very annoyed for a while, and would definitely regret it over a few thousand dollars a year, though.

That's exactly what I am doing here. I can loathe the politics, but of course I still have to play the game. That's why I started this thread.

But you are right, and it sounds like you get me, more or less (about as much as possible via forum communications ). But I'll be a martyr, anyway, within reason. It's who I am. I'll take some hits to make the world a little better. I give a shit about people, and about doing what is right. For me, that isn't just a slogan I put on my corporate website so that I can attract customers and talent. And I am a bit cynical, but that doesn't mean I don't wake up each day looking for the good in life. I still hold out hope that there are others, mentors, places with views more closely aligned with mine. After all, there are plenty of cultures in the world that vary greatly. One thing about me is that I never give up.
I may have read too much into your post in coming to the collusion that you felt the role was beneath you. That being said, you clearly are disillusioned with the company and the leadership. That alone is reason to leave. Why be a martyr and suffer away for no purpose. You're a self-proclaimed idealist in a company that does not give a F. Some people can shrug that off by not caring, but it clearly eats at you. Best to pull the plug and go someplace where you will get the mentoring and development you deserve. Go someplace where your ideas and contributions are valued so you can be proud of what you do and who you do it for. I guarantee you it's 100% more enjoyable than suffering as a martyr that no one notices or cares about.
Appreciate 1