12-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
With the age of the E9X chassis now a good 6 years past its last production date and most cars still on the road are with their second or third-tier owners (who probably are missing the original BMW documentation), I decided a write up of how the oil monitoring system works in the N52/54/55 engines was in order. A lot of owners have no idea how the oil sensor works, and misunderstand how the e-dipstick operates and what it tells them; the BMW owners manual never really gave a good explanation in the first place. A lot of owners do not understand the e-dipstick bar graph and think it represents the entire 7-quart quantity of oil in the engine. It only represents the top quart of oil.
I figured I would ask here instead of making a thread. For peace of mind.

I left my car idle for 5 minutes in my driveway because I had to take a parcel delivery at home. When I came back in the car it was giving me the warning (I don't remember exact message) "Engine oil level low add 1 quart/liter now". iDrive Min Max bar was in red and underneath the minimum. I figure it might just be because I burned some oil and since my driveway isn't really flat that's why.

So I drive 1 minute to the superstore so I can park it flat. Shut off the car for 5 mins. Start the car and measure it as if I would have done an oil change. It takes a good 5 minutes and then oil level tells me it's ok and in green full bar.

I go for a hard drive to test my new charge pipe clamp and near the end the oil level now showed 1/4 above min mark in green.

Just to be clear here, it was probably just due to my driveway not flat? I just don't understand why it would still measure even though the sensor tells the car it ain't flat and give me the warning. And I suppose I burned a bit of oil from the last oil change why it was showing 1/4 over min?

Good thing I didn't add the quart of oil at the first warning?
Appreciate 0