View Single Post
      02-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #15
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a really really dumb moment when I put the oil filter o ring on incorrectly, I basically had it seated right at the top of the cap, not in the groove it goes in, assuming all was good drove to work a good ways and the oil light finally came on so stopped at gas station and topped it up and could see it leaking from cap but still didn't click with me what id done wrong(I was thinking it was faulty o ring), on way home after driving longer because of traffic it came on again and I kept driving, really dumb I know now thinking back, short story once I got home I believe I had to add about 3 quarts to get the add oil light to go off. I'm pretty certain I didn't get a red oil light, just the yellow, this was about a year ago and all is good but I'm wondering how bad being that low on oil would be, and two, if it loses oil pressure would it shut the engine off or let you keep driving? Still kicking myself to this day. Interesting that you can be in need of 3 quarts of oil and you'll only get a add 1 quart msg, as if you only need one quart, I was dumb in this situation and should of taken the msg more seriously but (add one qt) seems a little mild once you've gotten to that point.

N54 with oil cooler

I'm just hoping having what I had in there would be enough for the pump to continuously grab oil without starving. Any idea?

Last edited by C4maro; 02-27-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0