12-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850CSi View Post
Guys, is the friction disc supposed to be loose-ish under the pressure plate until I release the SAC 'star'? I'm guessing that's the point at which the pressure plate springs fully compress onto the friction disc? I ask because I can still move the friction disc with the alignment tool and am trying to figure out how to get it perfectly centered.
Yes, the purpose of the centering tool is to center the disk to the crankshaft. There should enough friction once the pressure plate is in place to remove the centering tool screw without the clutch disk (friction disk) moving, then release the pressure plate springs by removing the throwing star. Then reinsert the centering tool bolt and remove the centering tool. The centering tool keeps the clutch disk centered to the crankshaft when the throwing star is released.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00