06-24-2021, 02:58 AM   #17
RAMDHI
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 N46

SERVICE error

Quote:
Originally Posted by raavin View Post
Thanks heaps for this. It makes part of my issue more clear.

I have a 2005/2006 320i N46. Recently I was checking the oil level and instead of having the clock it just said SERVICE underneath a low oil level reading. I added about 500ml oil with no change to the level so started getting all of my gear together for error reading and an oil change so I could tell the level. (The level never changed but it looks like I didn't drive it far enough or for long enough to get a new reading.)
Using INPA and a cheap $20AUD cable, the consistent error was 2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermischer Oelniveausensor or Thermal Oil Level Sensor. I tried just doing the oil and filter change just to get the level right first. I only pulled about 2 litres out of the engine of the 4.25lt it should have been. Put 4lt clean oil back in and checked the level. Still just said SERVICE with no level update. (Now I know it wouldn't update anyway). Thought it might be the sensor so bought a new one. Admittedly it was a Chinese knockoff.
Drained the oil, this time just under 4 litres. Assuming there is 500-750ml that you can't get out. Replaced the sensor. Put the same oil back in. Tried the level straight away. Told me to add a litre. Didn't make sense so left the engine running and checked again. Did this a few times. Added another litre. Ran for a bit and got the same failure after a bit with SERVICE.
Hopefully I haven't done any damage. There was some smoke from the exhaust. Some from the engine but I think that was just from oil overpour.
Errors now
2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermal oil level sensor
P1127 Engine oil level sensor signal - plausibility error

Today I'll get the oil out, check the cables again, put back only 4 litres and try running it again but follow the instructions here. Hopefully the SERVICE error will go away but I'm sort of suspecting that the overfill has damaged the level sensor but that doesn't really make sense because the engine was previously way underfilled.
Hi, did you managed to get the SERVICE error fixed?
Appreciate 0