View Single Post
      08-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #4171
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!

If your intentions are good - so be it and I thank you for your input - but your posts to me have been nothing short of condescending - not that I will lose sleep over it - but since I am bored at work right now I will respond to this:

1) thank you - i had NO idea what PMs were for - I am NOW enlightened b/c of your forum knowledge. What does PM stand for? Oh wait - could it have been because if I post it and he answers with any specific settings he changed to get it to work then maybe the next guy who SEARCHES will see the answer? Seems like to be that's the whole point isn't it? Or I could....PM was it? PM him and get the answer for myself.

2) you still are not clear about my problem - and I didn't ask the whole thread for help b/c I would get answers like yours. This is why I asked if he used any SPECIAL settings - which would lead one to assume that I followed the NORMAL settings.

3) Yes all your rec's apply to me but that's not the point. The point is if there are issues from using a MBP and Parallels to run XP 32-bit. I never said I used a MBP I don't follow the same rules. I was asking for a specific answer.

Could have I premised my question with more info - sure - I am guilty of that here - but I was just asking a quick question to someone who got it to work with MY set up.

I'm glad we added more insightful thoughts to this already long thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Um, wow. Let's review:

1. There's a built-in function for specific questions to specific people called PMs. If you only want answers from that person, only contact that person, or if you must post in the thread, at least make it clear in your post that you're only asking that specific person. Quoting someone doesn't mean you only expect an answer from them.

2. The fact that you're running an MBP with Parallels doesn't mean that some of the conventional wisdom and pitfalls wouldn't apply to you. It's not as if you said, "Here's my setup, I've read the thread and here's what I've tried unsuccessfully so far" so the rest of us would know that we could skip the typical recommendations that help the vast majority of the people on here. All you said was, "Here's my setup, here's the problem I have, what settings should I check?" I gave you basic troubleshooting information because you gave a basic description of your problem.

3. I definitely read your question, evidenced by the fact that ALL of my recommendations apply to the behavior you're seeing. And if you read this thread as well as others you'll find that I'm not some "douchebag" who doesn't bother to read people's questions and jumps at opportunities to piss people off. I post when I feel I can contribute something worthwhile, and responses to my posts from other members here and elsewhere indicate that they appreciate most of what I say. Look me up or ask around. Nothing in my post indicates that I didn't read yours, just that you didn't provide sufficient information for any more advanced recommendations. I told you to read the thread because your post sounded a lot like other people's who have posted here asking the same damn question over and over again. If you read back you'll find that I've already taken time to answer the same questions several times without even saying "Read the thread". If I'd wanted to be a douchebag, my response to you would've just been the Search emoticon; instead, I typed up a list of troubleshooting steps, which incidentally helped someone else here who was running YOUR EXACT SETUP. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

4. Even my smiley was sincere. I meant that as a "I'm happy to help, but please search next time", not as an F- you couched with a smile.

Chill out.