03-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #30
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 BLKONBLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
And do you think that's good? I understand that it's running lower boost than the PROcede v3.2 or JB3 (and will consequently have lower HP/TQ), but for the $$$, do you that the extra 50 or so BHP (not WHP) and TQ is acceptable?

Yes it's worth the money. My opinion is the ESS flash is more of a refined tune from what I researched. It’s not just enough to make good power gains; but more important how they are made. With that said, I will not lie and say I understand thoroughly everything that ESS has done from torque management, water pump speed modifications, to EGAS and EWS and etc. But their flash seems to build upon or "work with" what BMW has developed with the N54. There are other things that impressed me about the ESS flash. The way the flash included the latest Progman update. My transmission shifts so much smoother now after the flash. This car is my wife's daily driver and she is amazed at how it shifts compared to before. Another positive is the piece of mind that comes from not worrying about throwing "tuning codes". That was high if not #1 on my priority list. Plus, ESS is working on a transmission flash that when in manual mode it will hold third through sixth gear. Now couple that with the raised rev limiter this flash already provides, the compromise with my wife on getting an auto isn't looking that bad after all.

This tune is putting down some great power. Obliviously, something wasn't right with the first dyno I went to. That's why I went to another one in town. I wanted to see the numbers first hand and the tune is boosting 13 psi exactly what is promised. The torque in this car amazes me. I feel like I'm in the big leagues now compared to my old IS250 and B5! Plus if I want to get into a pissing competition with anyone, I can always upgrade to Stage 3 or 4!!!!!

I guess to summarize my mini review here. Everyone has different priorities with and for their car. The more tunes to choose from the better. Dinan was the other option I was considering. So for $750, I feel like I got a great product and an outstanding deal. For my wife and I, ESS stage 2 was the best choice. Todd at ESS has been great to work with. He is very professional, knowledgeable and answered every question no matter how dumb or repetitive I sounded.

Last edited by acts238; 05-06-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0