Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
TDI I don't get the comment on controlling EGTs. My water meth system always increases EGTs even at 30% meth...not a lot but still a bit hotter. Perhaps I am missing the point... EGTs acceptable relative to power generated?
That's interesting. I'm specifically referring to peak power EGT's, not sure if that's what you're talking about as well?

I've always seen a reduction in EGT's, unless the methanol percentage and amount starts getting excessive. My experience is limited to a small sampling of diesel engines, however.

When looking at FAQ's from some water injection vendors they seem to indicate a position that mirrors my experience, that it lowers EGT's. A couple examples:
http://www.snowperformance.net/category-s/169.htm
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...ionSystem.html

Would be interesting to see your logs showing an increase in EGT's with and without injection. Maybe post them in one of the water/methanol injection threads?
I will do that with torque pro. DWR and I had a long back and forth on this mod. I also spoke to the guys at Snow. Irrespective of Snow's website they make a big internal distinction between one of us and a pickup towing a boat over the continental divide. The Snow guy said that if I wanted to see my EGTs truly drop I needed to be under 20% methanol. Moreover, The pickup guys if pulling a heavy load up a long grade use 0 to 10% meth. Trucker's motto...meth = heat. At first this pissed me off given that Snow so prominently blathers on their site about reduced EGTs and regens which I have never experienced. At a 50/50 mix I can keep EGTs sub 900; 60% meth sub 950. Don't want to any hotter than 950 and only get that hot if I feel compelled to race an Audi. 60% meth the car absolutely hauls ass above 18psi of boost when my system starts spraying.
Appreciate 0