09-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Kcyrusm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
more than likely you had a horrible 60'. Brake and DCT are synced with each other. So when you were holding the brake the preasure to the clutch is being half applied. If you keep doing this type of launch you will over heat the DCT which will lead to slippage > leading to excessive wear and tear.

Its seems you have been moderate at doing this though. Your throttle modulation helps with the strain on the clutches with that type of launching.
I wish I had a way to see my 60' to say one way or the other from the event, but I don't. My impression was that they would have been very nice actually. The car was launching beautifully. I had full grip and was WOT within 10-15 feet if I was to guestimate. I see what you are saying with the over-heating though if the DCT is only applying with half pressure with that method. Sources for that fact would be greatly appreciated!

I did five launches in my autocross runs and 4 of them were with the method I described. Within the number of launches and amount of time I had between though launches, I didn't have any slipping problems, but that's not to say it won't happen later.
Appreciate 0