View Single Post
      12-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #29
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Regarding the claying process, do you find the Nanoskin mitt to be as effective as old skool hand claying?
Yes, the synthetic clay products like nanoskin and speedy prep towel are fantastic for mechanical decontamination. I discuss this in the articles I had previously mentioned about Explaining the Decontamination Process (I can provide links again when I am back at a computer if needed).

We use synthetic clay mitts/towels on almost every vehicle we work on becasue they are WAY faster than traditional clay when it comes to removing large amounts of contamination. The downside is that these synthetic clay substances are very prone to marring the paint. For this reason, I do not recommend them for routine decontamination... I only recommend using products like nanoskin or speedy prep towels when you will be using some sort of an abrasive polish afterwards because the polishing process will remove the light marring that is left on the surface.

For routine cleaning/decontamination traditional fine or ultra fine grade clay with a good clay lubricant is much more gentle and less prone to marring the paint.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1