05-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #2148
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
But then why would it not even work in 6th gear this morning? I'm fine with it not working in 5th gear. The only time I use cruise is in 6th gear anyways, but I'm still confused about the inconsistent behavior ive observed lol.
Because it doesn't think it's in a valid gear. In 5th gear at whatever speed you happen to be going when you try to set it, it errors because it doesn't think the gear is valid. If it works at one speed in 6th it might not work at a different one for the same reason.

Basically it does something like RPM / VSS = gear ratio (more complicated than that, but you get the idea). Since it knows the gear ratios in the stock transmission (and final drive), it knows what gear you are in.

But now your VSS / RPM ratio is way off (because the RPM is higher at the same speed), so the calculated gear ratio is no longer plausible.

The proper way to fix that is to change the constant for the final drive ratio to match your actual ratio.

People ran into this with the E46 M3 when switching to 4.10s or higher. the SMG computer would go crazy. The worst was going above 4.10, because it was only an 8 bit value and you couldn't make it any bigger.
Appreciate 0