View Single Post
      09-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #50
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

OK, Here is an idea. I know of the redneck method of using sandpaper and a shoelace to evenly smooth out pitted or slightly damaged crank surface. Obviously this one would probably have to be sanded down to the point where the standard size bearing shells are too loose. Has anyone ever had success in sanding down a crank journal until I reach the next size bearing? For example I have a set of STD size bearings and if I sand/grind/polish this damaged one it will be too small but what if I use a micrometer and sand it until I reach the next size of .25 over? For example would I just measure a good part of the crank and sand this one until it is .25 smaller, then use that bearing? I would check with a plastigauge of course but am I understanding the process correctly? I could check it with the micrometer for roundness of course and then be careful how I sand to keep it even. Please only respond if you have knowledge of this process or have actually done this type of work. Saying how it "would never work" based on what was read online is not real advice from personal knowledge.
Appreciate 0