Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

Garage List
2003 Z4  [0.00]
2006 E90 335d m Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson134 View Post
Good Morning All,

I have been floating around this forum for a good couple of years but never registered until today. I am currently driving a BMW 118d which I have owned from new for the last 4 years but I am now starting to think about its replacement. I have been thoroughly impressed with the 118d and over its life it has averaged 62mpg which has been extremely impressive. I am considering either a X1 M Sport XDrive 20d or a 3 series (chiefly the 318d / 320d). I was fortunate enough last month to have been given an X1 as a courtesy car from my local dealer and I was very impressed overall but somewhat saddened by the 43mpg over 200+ miles.

Based on this I have started to reconsider my dream car, a 335d!

As I know and have enjoyed reading many members posts about this car I was wondering if I could ask for some assistance, I job entails a 24x7 shift pattern and as such I now never get caught up in traffic jams or drive in cities / busy towns, I have a 55 mile commute to the office of which 90% is on a dual carriageway 10% twisty lanes. When I stick to 60mph and cruise to work my 118d it will return high 60’s over a tank thus from those members who have had this car and know it’s capabilities and given this type of drive I will be doing what would be my real world MPG?

Ideally, I would like to average at least 42mpg – is this living in dreamland? When a car is spent 90% on the motorway cruising encountering no traffic? Obviously, regular use of the loud peddle will send the figures down but apart from a few roundabouts here and there, slip roads etc. the majority of the time will be spent at 60 – 70mph.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Getting back to the point Ian I would say that there was little or no chance that you will return 42mpg from the 335d. Whilst in theory it may be possible, having the ability to do what the 335d can, you would be tempted too often like the rest of us and the figure would probably be around 30-35 at BEST.
I haven't driven a 320d ED yet and don't claim to know much about cars but I think that would be a good option. Either that, and I may be booted from the forum for saying this, get an IS220d........
Appreciate 0