United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
DIY Hood Latch Stuck

Hello everyone. Two weeks ago I faced an issue where my right hood latch was suck and would not open. This was the first time I had this problem. Here is a brief background and what I did.

Background: I have a 2008 328xi E90 with 123K miles. The car is mechanically sound. I went on a 1,100 mile trip, stopping only for fuel. When I arrived to my destination I checked the car top to bottom, making sure everything was okay and no damage. Lastly I lifted up the hood and checked the engine bay, everything was fine.
The next morning, I wanted to replace the cabin filter and the hood would not open. Clearly it was releasing for the left side but not on the right. After doing some research, I found that the method is to push a thin rod against the latch that is stuck and hopefully it would release.
This did not work for me because I was not able to reach and visually see the latch mechanism. Therefore, I had to find an alternative way. I found this to be easier and less time consuming. Here are the items you will be needing and the steps:

1 Microfiber Cloth
1 2x4 wood
1 WD-40
1 Flashlight

First pull the hood release.

This is what my hood looked like, slightly open on the left side and stuck on the right.

Most videos I've watched, a metal rod was used. It was to be wedged between the hood and headlight to push the latch open. I didn't want to scratch or damage anything. For me I could not see the latch at all.

This is what I used. A small piece of wood and a MF cloth.

Wrap one end of the wood with the MF cloth. Ensuring no damage to the car.

On the left side, the side that is open, you will need to pry open a bit more so we can get a better look under the hood. Carefully and slowly lifting the hood and wedging the piece of wood in between so you can see.

This is what you'll be seeing.

A closer look.

This is what you'll be looking for. It's the Bowden cable hood mechanism.

The are two black cables directly behind the headlight. The short cable is connected to the left side. The longer cable is connected to the right side. The latch that is stuck is on the right side. What you'll need to do is carefully and firmly pull on the longer cable.

Please make sure you are not pulling on this black box. What I did was grab the long cable right behind the headlight and gently applied force. You might need to pull it back till you hear a the latch that stuck click open.

#11 Bowden cable hood mechanism.

The faulty latch on the right side.

A different view of the latch.

I sprayed white lithium grease on the dry component. I guess WD-40 would be fine to use as well. I haven't any problems since.

I hope this helps. It's my first time writing a DIY. Please excuse me if I made any mistakes. This stuck latch was super frustrating but this method works great. Only took me 10-15 minutes.

Last edited by tsm007; 12-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Images did not load.
Appreciate 6