View Single Post
      03-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #21
ht4e
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Alright, I just talked to the head Mechanical Engineer of my department and it's exactly as I thought.
Once the stud is installed and the nut is torqued over the wheel to X amount of torque, this will be EXACTLY the same as X amount of torque on a lug installed (and vice veersa). The stud will stretch the same as the lug which will create a tight lock on the wheel.

The only issue that came to his mind is removing the studs because there is the possibility that the stud will back out of the hole while removing the nut. But...This is what the loctite and torqe settings are for when installing the studs.
I have already taken my wheels off 2 times since I've installed the stud kit for tire changes and brake changes and have had no issues whatsoever with the studs backing out.
I hope this clears things up.
https://www.apexraceparts.com/media/...structions.pdf
a different torque amount using double nut, I am assuming using a double nut to torque vs. just a torque wrench directly torquing the studs to hub to 22 lb-ft is different.

I am an engineer but far from an ME. if I remember my physics class correctly, the 16 lb-ft torque to the stud to hub and the sum of the 90lb-ft. of nuts to the studs turned out to be 106 lb ft?
Is that why it is the same as torquing the oem lug bolts to the torque spec?
Appreciate 0