07-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I looked at a Kia Soul at car sense (car max equivalent). The tires were dry rotted and throwing chunks. Unless you are buying a new car, you need to strip search any car you want to purchase.
Agreed. What CarMax advertises as a knowledgeable and trust-worthy used car dealer was the opposite of what I found through my experience. So they lied, plain and simple. The trade for their expertise and honesty is you are unable to negotiate the price, especially after you pay to have a car transported across several states to review. Had I found the abnormalities listed previously, I would have still taken the car, but at a lower price. I didn't look that close at details such as the coolant level, and air filter condition, and the battery installation because I trusted their advertising and there was no point in trying to negotiate a lower price since I had no leverage. I paid them a non-refundable $350 to bring the car to Virginia and they have a no-negotiation policy, two strikes against me.

Again, based on my experience with CarMax, they are no better or trustworthy a used car dealer as any other. In fact I'd say they are worse. With most used car dealers you know you are getting BS'd and dealing with less-than-honest people; with CarMax they go to great lengths to play a ruse to the contrary, yet they are as unscrupulous as any other used car dealer.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
IB M2782.00
Jklad421.00