View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
thebeezle
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Need glow plug removal advice

Ok, newbie here. My 2011 335d is fully out of CPO warranty (57k miles) and time to start doing my own work.

I've been reading and reading and watching videos. I have a couple of glow plug codes for #2 and #5. #2 was first, #5 was a few weeks later. I've successfully removed intake (first time of many I'm sure) and I have 6 new plugs and a new module on the way. I'm going to guess the module is going bad since two plugs in short succession but I figured I would just replace everything since I have it apart.

My question is this... My engine is cold since I'm taking my time on this job (DC Summer so 80+ degrees) and the #2 plug came out with fairly little effort. THEN I started reading about the horror of snapping these plugs or bitching up the threads and how it should be done with a hot engine. Well, I can't run my motor at the moment since it's disassembled.

Any advice on how to proceed? I've tried the others and they are not coming out as easy so I've stopped. I don't have a meat fist and always err on the side of caution with potentially seized things. Can I heat the block somehow or freeze the plug to help?

Or should I just replace module and put it back together and see if the codes go away and then try later with a hot engine?

Also, what is the consensus on using anti-seize on the glow plug threads?

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0