View Single Post
      05-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #102
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
The whole problem here is, people do not want to stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing.
The cost of the trip is high enough, i dont see the problem with everyone travelling and staying in the same place, thats 10 minutes from the ring, and a lot cheaper.
I for one will definately be taking the £209 offer, over the £300plus, and 80miles per day of petrol offer.
Baris

If YOU don't want to "stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing..." that's absolutely fine. Do whatever you want to do!

I don't expect every forum member will realise that this is not actually a "Nurburgring via Eurotunnel & Koblenz" offer, take it or leave it Did you actually read my first post ??

I am amazed at how certain people have become so focussed on being anti-Koblenz Can I just make clear that there has never been an issue of wanting everyone to stay at the same place. I have never made any insistence that members stay in Koblenz - if you take the time to read my first post, you will note that I listed several options for accommodation, all of which (bar Koblenz) are close to if not actually at the 'Ring.

I fully appreciate there are members who think 40 miles to and from Koblenz is a long way to get to the 'Ring - there's no problem if people don't want to stay there. If for example you want to take the £209 offer, go ahead - it's a cracking deal.

I would like to clarify that neither I nor Viv have asked Dino to actually retract his offer of ferry and accommodation, contrary to the sentiments expressed by him in his post above. I had a concern that his offer made no mention of the fact that "all accomodation is based on 2 or 3 people sharing depending on room size" (taken from his website directly), and that members would be expecting more than what was actually going to be delivered. I have actually thanked him for his assistance repeatedly.

Incidentally, let me just work some numbers for you -

£209 for one car crossing by ferry & accommodation, based on let's say two people sharing a room. Cracking deal. How much would it be on a one-room-per-person basis?

£131 for Eurotunnel, plus 135 Euros (based on 90 Euros a room a night in Koblenz, two people sharing, in a modern 4 star hotel with all facilities) - total £248 (at current exchange rates)

Oh I forgot one thing - the ferry crossing takes 1hr 40mins or so (based on Dino's experience) and takes you 30km closer to the 'Ring by disembarking at Dunkerque rather than Calais. The Dover Ferry Port is 24km (or 15miles) further away than the car shuttle at Eurotunnel in Ashford. The Eurotunnel also only takes 35mins.

As I said before, if you want to take up Dino's package, go for it. Others might do the same, others might not. This has already become a fragmented trip so I don't really care anymore whether people go on their own, or as part of a group. I don't expect everyone to understand the group dynamic.

I'll let other people make up their minds. This trip hasn't even started yet and I'm already exhausted so this will be the last one I'm doing

Thank you all for your understanding and support, where it has been apparent
Appreciate 0